Monday, October 17, 2011

In Memoriam: Will Norton

Though I wasn't extremely close with Will I did have him in two of my classes. One of them, my English AP class he sat one row over and a seat in front of me. For a semester of my Chemistry 2 class, (he ended up dropping the class at semester) he sat right behind me. Through both of those classes I could have reached out and touched him. It kills me that I never did, because now I no longer have the opportunity to. Will was the quintessential 'All American' boy. Though he didn't play any sports he was extremely smart, friendly to everyone he met and he was advanced at anything that involved computers or cameras. The best part about Will is he always had a smile on his face! There wasn't ever a day where I could tell that he was stressed or worried about anything other  than just enjoying the day that God had blessed him with. He was the best Christan I have ever met, though he never forced his views or opinions on anyone else. He gave everyday of his short life to God and let him accomplish things that few people will ever have the chance to achieve. In the 18 years that Will lived he did everything he had wanted to accomplish: he got to see the great wildebeest migration when he traveled to Africa; he got accepted into Chapman University, one of the most prestigious film schools in the country; while traveling with the Constitution Team to Washington D.C. for National competition he rallied with others outside the White House after the announcement had been made that Osama Bin Laden was dead; he met his idol, Kat Von D, who would later do a drawing in his memory.
At his Celebration of Life ceremony, his family chose to show a compilation of his videos to basically allow Will to narrate his own funeral. It also showed his complete joy in life. Below is one of my favorite videos that they showed. I think it captured the essence of Will perfectly. He was always energetic and happy, and that definitely shines in this video.
I wish that I had taken the time to do more things with Will when he was still here. However, I know that one day sooner than I think I will meet with him again. At that time we will have an eternity to celebrate our lives and spend time  together. Now, I just try to live my life the same way will did: giving everyday to God, and basking in the joy and happiness of everyday that he gives to us.

No comments: