Monday, October 17, 2011

Rebuilding: A Work in Progress

Outside the Lines: Joplin Eagles

The video above shows only a small part of the recovery process in Joplin. I was hoping to catch it on tv when it aired Sunday morning. However, I got called into work early and was unable to watch it. When I checked my Facebook later that day I found that someone had posted this link to the video. Between Sunday and now 9 of my friends have also posted links to the video, including me. I got up the nerve to watch it tonight, and cried a couple times through it. Tears of joy, admiration and some of sadness. Quinton's story is one that I never fully knew until last weekend when I visted for the homecoming game. Watching him walk out onto our field, holding hands with the rest of his captains was a moving experience. Hearing his name announced as a captain, even though he wasn't playing was even more emotional, for me. It was great to know that even though he couldn't play, he was still considered a pivotal role in the team. All of the players look up to him as a beacon of strength and courageousness, and I greatly admire that. Though his parents are gone, and him and his sister are seperated - living in two different houses, he is still strong. It takes a lot to go through something as traumatic as he did, and still be grounded and strong.
Being back at the football game last Friday night was an amazing feeling! You could tell that everyone felt a little better sense of normalcy in being there. Since the other venues for sporting events were destroyed the school has had to find alternate places to hold games and tournaments. Though the teams are formed most of the players aren't together anymore since the schools are seperated by classes. While the players generally see each other at practice daily, they aren't getting the bonding time they would normall recieve if they were all in one central location for 7 classes, every day. The football field is the only place that everything is the same: the players, cheerleaders, band, students, and parents. I guess you could say that it all feels right. Everything is in it's place, just as you left it pre-tornado.
The rebuilding in Joplin is still a major work in progress, and will continue to be for a number of years. The high school and St. Johns still stand (or sit in rubble, may be a better term to use for the high school). Demolition has yet to begin on either plot of land, as the final details are still being discussed with the city. I hope that the process of tearing down, and eventually rebuilding will begin soon. I look forward to hearing great things later this week, as Extreme Home Makeover visits Joplin. They plan on rebuilding 7 houses in 7 days, with the help of volunteers throughout the city.  I wish that I could go down to help but my work and school schedule just won't allow me to.
I can still say that I am proud to be from Joplin, and I believe I always will be. It is so interesting to see how one major event can change your entire perspective on things! When I walked across the stage at graduation I was so excited to be moving on and taking the next step in my life. I had planned to move to Springfield at the end of the summer. I was ready to get out of Joplin and its small town ways and meet new people. All my life I had dreamed about getting out of Joplin and doing bigger and better things. However, after the tornado hit I felt very guilty (and still do) for leaving my hometown in such a state. I long everyday to be back in my hometown helping rebuild with everyone else. I can't wait to go back home and get settled again, and live my life where I grew up.

No comments: