Sunday, October 2, 2011

Writer's Block

I'm sitting here, as I have the same way for the past two nights, in front of my computer pondering how to write my 'This I Believe' essay. I know that I want to write about angels and how they exist to protect us in our day to day lives. The idea is solid in my head and I have been thinking about it non-stop for two days but I just can't figure out a way to start it. I know that if I can do just that, get it started, the rest of the words will flow effortlessly from my brain to my fingertips. Right now, however, there is something seriously blocking me from doing that. I have two specific moments in my life where I know angels were watching over me: April 25th, 1993 and May 22nd, 2011.

So, I was so frustrated that night that I ended up shutting my computer down and putting in a movie.I'm now returning to my blog to finish my story, and give an end to the anxiously waiting people. I watched 'Something Borrowed', a romantic comedy. This movie made me realize that we grow through life, constantly! We encounter certain situations that push us to a point where we either learn from it, or let it break us. A lightbulb went off in my head and I immediately grabbed my phone and began writing. When I realized the words were flowing effortlessly, I reached below my bed and got my computer. It seemed like days for it to boot up, most likely because I was anxious to begin typing so that I didn't lose my stream of words. I didn't stop typing until I had almost two pages of material. However, I knew that my paper had to be 3-4 pages. I was too tired to continue and vowed that I would come back to my paper in the morning when my brain was refreshed.

The next day in class we ended up watch a TED talks video where the inspirational speaker talked about growth. He stated that, "we needed it to live..." I was so thankful to hear those words because I had been thinking that my essay was just pointless, a endless babble of useless words. At that exact moment I felt that everything I had blurted out into my computer the night before was for a reason! I was inspired to write and after I left class I came home and finished my essay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is neat. If I try to come back to a paper that I have already started a different day, I will be blocked. I find it harder to get back into my writing groove after I have left it alone for some time.

Ms. A said...

This is a blog post I hope you will allow me to share with other classes. Nice work. ~Ms. A.