Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drive: The Movie

I would like to preface this blog by saying, "No, there will be no spoilers released about the movie in this blog, simply opinions and observations."

I really only have one friend in town and that's Jenn. We went to culinary school at Franklin Tech (pre-tornado) and decided that we were both going to continue our education at the lovely OTC campus here in Springfield. So, we packed our things, and here we are. Anyways, we have a tuesday night tradition of going to half-price movies at the Hollywood Theater downtown on Campbell St. Last night was no different, other than having her tag along friend Jeremiah. We sat down to watch Drive, an intense, thrill seeking movie starring the ever gorgeous Ryan Gosling. I was excited to see this movie because it contained two perfect things: 1) Ryan Gosling 2) fast cars. However, I was very disappointed. Gosling plays an awkward character, speaking very few words. The movie started off extremely slow, with very little happening and plenty of awkward moments. However, about 45 minutes in the movie started to pick up, in a different way than I expected - it quickly turned to a murder scene. I had read some of the reviews about this movie and all of them said the movie had shining qualities and ravishing moments. Therefore, I entered this movie with high expectations; fast cars, and some romance, with all the qualities of a classic 80's style movie. Unlike my expectations Drive turned out to be awkward, with plenty of gore and blood, and very little romance or fast cars.

Unfortunately, my mother insisted on calling and complaining to me about a 6:45 phone conversation I had rang up the previous night. (I fell asleep talking to a friend who apparently felt it unecessary to end the phone call and eventually fell asleep as well) So, I was unable to see the last 40 minutes of the movie. According to Jenn and Jeremiah the end of the movie was just like the rest: awkward and disappointing.

No comments: