Monday, September 19, 2011

I believe music can get you through any situation.

Music is more powerful than what people may think. What makes you feel a certain way when you're watching a movie? It's not the actors, and it's not the plot, often times it is the music. Would a scary scene with a masked man creeping up with an ax getting ready to kill a girl give you the same feeling if it was backed by cheery circus music? No. Would church feel the same if the choir didn't sing an uplifting song? No. Music intensifies the feeling we have in certain situations and can often alter our mood. When you can't express the words you have then turn to music lyrics, often writers have a better way of saying things than average people (though everyone can be a writer). Songs can also draw out feelings from a person. In our mind certain songs or lyrics can trigger memories from past events. Whenever I hear 'Amazing Grace' I am always taken back to a very close family friend's funeral. My best friend cannot listen to the song 'Jesus Take the Wheel' by Carrie Underwood because it reminds her of her uncle's funeral. However, if I listen to 'The ChaCha Slide' I'm transported to Keelie's skating rink and the wonderful memories I had with friends dancing to that song. Somewhere out in song land there is a song for every situation. For the time your boyfriend cheated on you, and the time your dog died, to the time you danced the night away with friends, and even the time you fell in love with your significant other. Music has been a huge part of my  family and for me it has always been something that I can rely upon. When my parents divorced and I felt like I had no one to turn to - music was there to guide me through. After the tornado hit I heard the song 'So Small' by Carrie Underwood and helped put things in perspective that what happen was not as bad as it could be, and that things would be okay. It has always been something for me to fall back upon when nothing else was there.

No comments: