Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Procrastinating

I have a habit of procrastinating, though you told me once that I wasn't procrastinating, rather contemplating ideas. But in all reality I honestly do procrastinate. I will wait until the last possible minute to get up out of bed and rush around getting ready for school or work. I haven't even looked at the 'This I Believe...' essay, let alone start to write my rough draft that's due in two days. I will wait until my grandmother is one day away from coming to see me to begin cleaning my house. I have a problem with procrastinating. The worst part for me is that I KNOW I have it, yet I do nothing to fix it. Try as I might I will always procrastinate. It's like a New Year's resolution, people do it for two weeks then give up. I can attempt to schedule myself and not procrastinate but it never ends up lasting for the long run. There are a few things I don't procrastinate on however: my rent, is always due on time; my gas tank is never empty; and if I'm hungry I never wait to eat. However, these all have consequences to them that are drastic! If my rent isn't paid it is an extra $25 the following day, then it only increases from there. If my gas tank is empty, I can't go anywhere until someone comes to bring me more gas. If I don't eat, I've discovered, I pass out. Procrastination is my weakness. It is also something that I've learned to deal with. I've found that I work better when I'm under pressure. If I know my essay is due Friday and I wait until Thursday to write it, I will most likely write a better essay than I would if I had written it Tuesday. I think it's because I focus more. I know that I have a short amount of time to do something so I block out other distractions. Normally, while sitting and writing an essay I would be watching tv, listening to the radio, or chatting with friends. However, if I know I have to get something done soon I block out all the distractions, and I just sit and write. I always listen to music when I clean, except when I'm in a rush. If I don't have the music I find I get things done faster because I focus more on what I'm doing.

No comments: