Friday, September 23, 2011

Hot Dog

I'm going to focus on the dog part, less than the hot part, becuase I greatly miss my dog. She's a 16 year old Shetland Sheepdog/ Collie mix. We named her Sassy since she very closely resembles the famous tv dog - Lassie. When my mom and dad divorced in 2007 she went to permanently live with my dad, since my mom and I couldn't have pets at our apartment. I do not have a close relationship with my dad and therefore, don't often see Sassy anymore. I know that she's getting extremely ancient and I fear we will have to put her down soon. She has already started to go blind, deaf, and she has a bad case of arthritis that requires regular medication. Sassy was my companion for many years and it hurts me to no longer have her with me. I find that the company of another person, or even an animal, helps to transition into a new stage of life. Moving here to Springfield, I tried desperately to find a place that would allow me to have a dog, so that I would have some company, but I ended up settling for a nice place that I could not have any pets in. If I could have a dog, I would in a heartbeat, even though I can't necessarily afford it. The simple thought of having someone else with me in my apartment would give me a new feeling of security. Sassy was always a caring dog, but if someone came near our house, she would bark to warn us. When I was in middle school I often spent nights alone at my house, while my parents were at the local Elk's Lodge, and it always gave me comfort to know that if someone were to approach the house I would know because of Sassy.

No comments: